Friday, October 15, 2010

Astro-Med, Inc. (ALOT)

I'm going to take a closer look at this one soon, but in the mean time, here are some quick stats on Astro-Med, Inc. (ALOT):

Market stats

  • Shares: 7.36 million
  • Price: $6.75/share
  • Net current asset value: $5.16/share
  • Average volume: 3,000 shares

Commentary on financial health:

  • Revenue growth 4 out of the last 5 years, although it dipped by 11% in fiscal year end Jan-2010.
  • Operating and net income have been steady and in the black for the last 5 years.
  • Positive free cash flow 4 out of 5 years. The one off year was prior to the recession.
  • 4.15% dividend yield.
I'm not sure what to make of this one yet. Two things that piqued my interest are that 1) it looks like the company decided to forgo their 4th quarter dividend in year-end January 2010 and 2) the trading volume is at rock bottom. So, at first glance I see a solid company financially that may have been unfairly judged by the market for skipping a dividend; and I see that the company is virtually ignored with an average trading volume of 3,000 shares per day.

That sounds like a recipe for value. As always, though, I'm withholding judgement until I have a chance to do some due diligence. I like to publish these ahead of time in case you want to follow along and compare the results of your own research.

No comments:

Post a Comment